Our Vision: To conserve the bio-diversity and ecosystem health of Mgahinga and Bwindi protected areas in harmony with the development needs of the surrounding communities.
Our Mission: To foster conservation of bio-diversity in Mgahinga and Bwindi protected areas through investment in community development projects, grants for research and ecological monitoring, funding park management and protection, and programmes that create greater conservation awareness.
Section still under development..
Primary funding is from the BMCT endowment fund that was initially set up under the Global Environment Facility through the World Bank in 1994 and other donors who wish to support projects of their own interest that help in the promotion of BMCT Vision and Mission.
Currently our donors include D. Swarovski & Co. funding the Sustainable Water Management for Nature and People project, CARE International funding the Batwa Livelihoods Project, the African Orphans Foundation funding some Batwa girl orphans' education and GV-TES funding an Agro-Forestry project.
Criteria for Programme Funding by BMCT
BMCT will fund programmes and projects that:
- Ensure linkages exist between the project funded and conservation of biodiversity of Bwindi Mgahinga Conservation Area (BMCA).
- Fills development gap that is not addressed by other stakeholders.
- BMCT funds projects and programmes that are not supported by other stakeholders.
- Reduce social pressure on natural resources through a variety of mechanisms.
- Support social and economic development programmes that have direct links to the protection of the biodiversity of BMCA.
Program Monitoring And Evaluation Plan 2009-2018:
The Ten-Year Plan was approved in 2009 and has the following four Objectives;
- Information about BINP and MGNP and environs made available for informing conservation and management decisions.
- Well being of the peoples (including Batwa) around BINP and MGNP improved
- Ecological condition and integrity of the protected areas improved gradually.
- BMCT managed as an efficient institution.